(17 verses, 3:08 to read)
What I am about to READ
- The LORD accuses the priests of profaning His Holy Place.
MARK & LEARN
Here’s an outline of the chapter
- 1-9, The LORD accuses the priests of corruption, and threatens to punish them (including the threat of spreading the dung of the sacrifices on their faces).
- In 2:5 the Lord speaks of the purpose for which He called Levi: to bless the people with life and peace, and so that the people would fear God.
- The priests are to teach (2:7), but they have led the people away from the Lord’s truth.
- 10-17, The priests are accused of ungodly marriage, first in that they married pagan wives, and, second, in that they treat their wives poorly.
- 2:14-17 speaks very clearly, especially to husbands, about the tenderness with which they should treat their wives.
- These priests and husbands are hearing the Lord’s law expose their sin. This passage, then, is a beautiful call to repentance, confess their sins and trust in the promise that the Lord had given them to preach. This preaching of repentance is also for us, that we would rejoice in the life and peace that Jesus has for us in the Gospel.