(15 verses, 2:04 to read)
MARK, LEARN & MEDITATE
- 1-8: Here is the 8th and final vision. Remember that four will represent “all encompassing earth,” like that of 4 cardinal directions. The emphasizes within this section is on the strength of the horses (vs. 3 & 7). This was a comforting message to Israelites who were surrounded by what seemed to be much stronger nations than they – both to the north (Babylon and Persia) and south (Egypt). This is a comforting message for all Christians as they consider the strength of their own sin and the devil and how weak the Church seems to be in this world.
- …Consider Ephesians 1 and the truth that it brings out of who Christ is, where He sits, and what He’s doing there: “19 and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might 20 that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.”
- …Pray: Lord Jesus, You are the Strong One – the One Mightier and Stronger, the Warrior, who came to fight my battle and win the victory for me that I might be with You and stand in Your Strength. Your peace and rest is for all (vs. 8), even those that war against you. Hear my prayer for the conversion of all my enemies and for my rest and peace as I consider my weakness and Your strength. Amen.
- …9-15: Three men show up to help rebuild the temple bringing silver and gold. They are told to make a crown from it and set it on the head of Joshua, the high priest. In this is a prophecy that will come One who will be both Priest and King, who will also be titled “the branch”and “shall built the temple of the Lord.” Note that this can’t be the second temple as it was currently being constructed under Haggai and Zechariah. This refers to the temple of the Church.
- …Lord Jesus, You are the shoot from the stump of Jesse, the Branch from his roots that continues to bear much fruit (Isaiah 11:1). Grant that I receive from Your Father, the Vinedresser, the pruning of repentance and pruning of suffering so that I too might bear much fruit as I grow closer to You, my Vine (John 15). You are the King Priest, after the order of Melchizedek. Strengthen my faith to draw close to You and Your throne of grace with confidence, so that I may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need, for in You, I do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with my weaknesses (Hebrews 4:14-15)
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/ or if reading on facebook, check out the blog: https://rightlydividedbible.wordpress.com/
Christopher Stout, Pastor of Mount Calvary Lutheran Church, Kannapolis, NC & Abundant Life Lutheran Church, Charlotte, NC