Reposted from Pr. Flamme
(26 verses, 1:11 to read)
What I am about to READ
- The Lord’s Steadfast Love Endures Forever
- Prayer of Thanksgiving for the Lord’s Goodness and Love (1-3).
- Creation and the Steadfast Love of the Lord (4-9).
- Salvation History and the Steadfast Love of the Lord (10-22).
- The Lord’ Rescue and Providence (23-25).
- Prayer of Thanksgiving (26).
- Why do we give thanks to the Lord? This psalm focuses on two things in particular, the Lord’s love displayed in both creation and salvation history.
- It was in love that the Lord created the heavens and earth. The psalmist meditates on the first chapters of Genesis and brings to our minds the fact that the Lord did these wondrous works of creation apart from any merit or worthiness in us.
- Though we have corrupted creation through our sin, the Lord’s undeserved love persisted as he preserved and rescued Israel for the sake of the Seed that would crush the serpent’s head. According to this Gospel promise, the Lord miraculously delivered Israel from their enemies and gave them the land that he had promised. All of these saving works in history were accomplished so Jesus could finally come to rescue us from our enemies of sin, death, and the devil through his suffering and death.
- So great is Christ’s redemptive work that even unbelievers benefit by receiving their daily bread out of God’s love and mercy. The benefits of the First Article of the Creed cannot be separated from Christ’s work in the Second Article.
- Prayer: Thanks be to you, God of heaven, that you have remembered us in our low estate and have rescued us through the blood and merits of Christ. Amen.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor A. Brian Flamme