Reposted from Pastor Wolfmueller
(28 verses, 3:58 to read)
What I am about to READ
- Paul’s first stay in Corinth and return to Antioch.
- 18:1-17, Paul’s one-and-a-half year stop in Corinth.
- 18:18-22, Paul’s return to Antioch through Ephesus and Caesarea.
- 18:23-28, Apollos meets Priscilla and Aquila, and becomes a helpful preacher of the Gospel.
- Here’s the map:
- Paul makes a short stop in Ephesus. He will return there on his third missionary journey and stay for more than two years.
- We normally think of Paul coming and going quickly, but he had a number of extended stays, including this stay in Corinth where he helped build and establish the church.
- Corinth was known for its sexual immorality, and sixth commandment sins would be a trouble even for the church (see 1 Corinthians 6-7).
- We have a “red-letter” verse in this chapter, 18:9-10, Jesus comes to Paul in a vision to strengthen him and give him courage. We don’t think of Paul as a cowardly man, but he must have been afraid of the things that would happen in Corinth. Jesus and His word of promise was Paul’s confidence and strength.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller