(24 verses, 1:50 to read)
What I am about to READ
- The Lord is our refuge, rock, and fortress. We need rescuing. With the mighty deeds of the Lord God we will go. And He who gave us to see many troubles and calamities will revive us again.
MARK & LEARN
- Each stanza seems to have its own theme.
- Verses 1-3, God is our refuge, deliverer, savior, rock, and fortress.
- Verses 4-6 (7-11), We need rescuing, the Lord is our hope. In faith, we praise the Lord.
- Verses 12-16, God will shame our accuser(s), we will tell of God’s righteous acts.
- Verses 17-21, Though we die yet shall we live.
- Verses 22-24, The Holy One of Israel has redeemed us, body and soul.
- The righteous acts, deeds of salvation, mighty deeds, and righteousness of God provide the tormented and accused Christian with comfort. What has our God done? This is the love of God, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. God has made Jesus the Crucified both Lord and Christ. And as He died and rose, so we, united to Him in Holy Baptism, though we die, yet shall we live. This is what it means for there to be no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. We will be accused. And the accusations may even be true! But for you are in Christ Jesus, for the baptized, there is no condemnation!
- We pray, “Teach us, Heavenly Father, by Your Word and Spirit to believe that the mighty works You have done were done for us and our salvation. Lead us, Heavenly Father, by Your Word and Spirit, to confess Jesus as Lord and Christ, who died and now lives, that we, too, will live with Him in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen!”
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group.
-Pastor Tyler Holt