*originally posted by Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller
(24 verses, 3:16 to read)
What I am about to READ
- A prayer in time of trouble and distress.
- Verses 1-22 are a prayer in time of trouble.
- The Psalm ends (23-24) with an exhortation.
- The Psalms assume that we are in trouble, that we have enemies and difficulties.
- The Psalms also show us that the Lord answers our prayers for confidence. We see that in this Psalm in the last two verses, where the prayer in trouble turns into a sermon calling us to love and faith.
- Consider verse 5. This is the prayer Jesus prayed from the cross before His death. The church brought this verse into the bedtime prayer (something that Martin Luther retrained in the bedtime prayer in the Small Catechism).
- Verse 19 is full of the Lord’s goodness and mercy, and worth reading a few times.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller