(14 verses, 2:50 to read)
What I am about to READ
- King Zedekiah inquires to Jeremiah about the upcoming battle against the Babylonians, and gets a bad answer from the Lord.
MARK & LEARN
Here’s an outline of the chapter:
- 21:1-2, King Zedekiah sends to Jeremiah, asking for the Lord’s insight into the upcoming onslaught of the Babylonians.
- 21:3-7, the Lord answers, promising not only victory to Babylon, but also that the Lord Himself would fight against His people. 21:5, “I myself will fight against you with outstretched hand and strong arm, in anger and in fury and in great wrath.”
- 21:8-10, the Lord offers a way of escape. Any people fleeing the city and surrendering to the Babylonians will live.
- 21:11-14, the Lord offers two more promises of destruction to the people.
- The people of Jerusalem were always confident in the wrong thing. They trusted in themselves, their righteousness, their strength. This false faith and confidence always ends in destruction and death. We trust not in ourselves, but in Christ, the crucified and risen One, who overcame sin, death, and the devil for us. He will protect and keep us through death to life eternal.
Thoughts? Questions? Join the conversation in our facebook group.