(40 verses, 4:37 to read)
What I am about to READ
- Paul continues his instruction regarding the exercise of spiritual gifts.
- 14:1-25: Instructions for the use of the gifts of tongues.
- 14:26-40: Order in worship.
- The gift of tongues is the gift of speaking in a language that you do not know. The modern idea that the Holy Spirit causes a person to speak gibberish is completely unbiblical. “The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet,” 1 Corinthians 14:32. For more on this topic, please see What is the Gift of Tongues?
- Paul also, in this chapter, excludes women from the office of pastor. This has been disputed in modern times with the rise of the ideology of feminism, but the clarity of the Scriptures on this point is sufficient for the Lord’s people.
- “Prophecy” is the chief spiritual gift. We normally think of this as telling the future, but it is much more in the Scriptures. Prophecy is specifically speaking from God’s council, echoing God’s Words into the world. Preaching law and Gospel, and speaking the Lord’s name to our neighbor is, in this way, understood as prophecy. This is the sense that we are taught to understand the word by Peter in Acts 2:17.
- O Lord Jesus, we give you thanks for your concern with our salvation. We thank You for establishing the preaching of Your Word and the giving out of Your sacraments, and we pray that we, Your people, would rejoice in Your care today and always. Amen.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller