(31 verses, 4:16 to read)
What I am about to READ
- Paul finishes the work of the law, in a crescendo of Psalms he lays all people low. “Every mouth is stopped” so that the Lord could speak, and declare us righteous.
- The structure of Paul’s argument is thus:
- 1-9, the advantage of the Jews,
- 10-20, everyone is utterly sinful, so
- 21-31, God’s righteousness comes not by works but by faith.
- To show forth original sin Paul quotes Psalm 14:1-3 (which is also Psalm 53:1-3), Psalm 5:9, Psalm 140:3, and Psalm 10:7.
- This chapter is a beautiful teaching of law and Gospel. There are “none,” “no one,” “no, not one,” who are righteous on their own, and yet the Lord is pleased to call and declare us righteous. This is the Biblical doctrine of justification, the teaching upon which the church stands or falls.
- Romans 3:23-25 is one of the clearest statements of salvation by grace through faith apart from the law, and is a beautiful text to memorize.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller