(46 verses, 5:00 to read)
What I am about to READ
- Jesus concludes His sermon on the Second Coming with two parables and one picture of the great Last Day.
- There are three sections in this chapter:
- 1. The Parable of the Ten Virgins
- 2. The Parable of the Three Stewards
- 3. The Sheep and the Goats, a Picture of Judgment
- There are a number of things Jesus is teaching us in this chapter regarding the last day.
- First, it will come unexpectedly.
- Therefore, second, we should be ready for that day. Faith in Christ is the readiness for the end.
- Third, our lives are also marked with good works that are motivated by the Lord’s generosity and shaped by His fear.
- Four, the Last Day will be a day of Judgment. Those already justified have nothing to fear. Those trying to earn God’s favor are doomed.
- There is, finally, comfort in that day. It is the day of our redemption drawing near.
- All three portions of the text are given to us so that we would be ready for the Lord’s return.
- Even though we confess the Creeds every day, we often forget the incredible truth that the Lord Jesus will return for us. We assume that tomorrow will be like today, but this chapter reminds us that our hope and longing is in the return of Christ, which could be at any moment.
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller