Reposted from Pr. Wolmueller
(50 verses, 5:39 to read)
What I am about to READ
- This chapter is overflowing with goodness! Jesus continues teaching about Sabbath rest (1-8), and then demonstrates how the Sabbath should be full of life (9-14). In 15-21 Matthew brings another quotation from Isaiah to show why Jesus is trying to keep His healings secret. 22-37 teaches how Jesus treats the devils kingdom, and also warns of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. In 38-45 Jesus is getting after the Scribes and Pharisees, look out! The chapter finishes with a blessing of all those who do the will of the heavenly Father.
- It is especially interesting to note the three “greater thans” in this chapter. Jesus is than the temple (12:6), than Jonah (12:41), and Solomon (12:42)!
- There is enough in this chapter for a year of study! I’ll highlight a few verses for meditation:
- 12:7: Jesus quotes Hosea 6:6, that the Lord desires mercy and not sacrifice. The Pharisees had turned God’s gracious gift of the Sabbath into a work, a way to make themselves righteous through obedience, which is the greatest idolatry.
- 12:28: Jesus does His miracles by God’s Spirit, not by the evil spirits.
- 12:33: It is only the good tree that bears good fruit. The Pharisees we too concerned for the fruit and not the tree.
- 12:39: The sign of Jonah, here Jesus teaches us that He will be in the earth for three days.
- 12:50: This blessings is for us!
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller