(6 verses, :36 to read)
What I am about to READ
- This chapter is, perhaps, the most popular in the Scripture, the beautiful picture of the Lord as a caring and faithful shepherd for us, His sheep.
- There are a few things to notice in the structure of this Psalm that show, even more, its beauty.
- First, there are two major images through the Psalm: 1-4: The Lord is our shepherd. 5-6: The Lord takes care of us peacefully in the midst of violence.
- Second, overlapping this, is another structural element. 1-3 is a sermon, 4-5 is a prayer, 6 is a final sermon.
- Third, the verses get longer as the Psalm progresses, as the blessings of God’s are expounded.
- This interweaving of image and person and lengthy is uniquely beautiful.
- The image of our Lord as our Shepherd comes to its fullness with Jesus (John 10), who is the Shepherd who lays down His life for the sheep!
- The Psalm is full of comfort. Soak it in!
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/
-Pastor Bryan Wolfmueller