(13 verses, 1:43 to read)
What I am about to READ
- In this short letter John addresses the “elect lady and her children,” probably a congregation in Asia Minor, and encourages them to remain steadfast in truth and love.
MARK & LEARN
- The entire Bible is about faith and love, faith in Christ and love for our neighbor. This is especially clear in the writings of St. John.
- False teachers are a threat to faith and love (2 John 1:7-8)
- I was surprised to learn that the only two books of the Bible to use the word “antichrist” were 1 John and 2 John. (Here are the references: 1 John 2:18, 22, 4:3, 2 John 1:7.) In all of these verses the antichrist is marked by bad doctrine. The antichrist denies that Jesus came in the flesh, or denies the persons of the Father and the Son. In other words, the antichrist holds to a false doctrine of the Trinity and/or the Incarnation.
- Jesus is the only way to the Father. If we do not know Jesus, we do not know the Father (2 John 1:9).
- The two great mysteries of the Christian faith are the doctrine of the Trinity and the Incarnation of Jesus. The devil always attacks these teachings, because when we embrace false teaching we lose not only the truth, but the life that comes from that truth. The Scriptures, on the other hand, bring us truth and life. “And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent” (John 17:3).
Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Post below, or join the conversation in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dailybiblemeditation/